The neo-classical building sits beside the lovely Camaione stream, which enters the nearby Lima River at Ponte a Serraglio.
The Demidoff Temple was built in 1831 by grateful Russian Prince, Nicolaj Demidoff, who was delighted to have his gout cured in the thermal waters of Bagni di Lucca. The round building with 4 pillars was designed by architect Giacomo Marracci. It followed the building in 1826 of the Demidoff Hospital, joined by a bridge to the temple. The hospital is now the Villaggio Globale, a holistic health centre.